Re: Altitude and SU's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Altitude and SU's
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:09:13 -0400
I can't resist it any longer either, just gotta put in my $.02 worth.

In 1989, while on a VERY long tour involving many altitude changes from sea
level to as high as 14,310 feet (Pikes Peak), I learned a lot about SU carbs
from practical experience.  Upon reaching the base of Pikes Peak (8,500
feet), the MGA had a bad case of the high altitude blues, very rich indeed.
 Turned both carbs full lean, as far as they would go.  The car shot up Pikes
Peak in a flash, passing everything on the road, never missed a beat, made
the 27 miles from entrance to summit in 41 minutes (last 20 miles is sand
road).

For the rest of that six week trip, any time there was an elevation change of
a few thousand feet, I just gave the fuel mixture a small tweak and we all
got along together just fine.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
Naperville, Illinois