Re: Stalling problem (previously no subject)

To: "Ken.Strauss" <Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net>
Subject: Re: Stalling problem (previously no subject)
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 00:39:36 -0400
Ken.Strauss wrote:

>      Help, does anybody out there have any ideas on what is causing these
>      symptoms.
>
>      Tooling down the highway just fine, all of a sudden the engine acts
>      like I turned off the ignition. It slows down and has no response to
>      the gas pedal.  However, the lights, gauges, radio, etc all stay on.
>      If I turn off the iginition then back on it comes back to life.
>      Haven't yet seen any common events in these episodes.
>
>      All ideas will be considered and greatly appreciated.
>
>      Ken Strauss
>      1980 MGB

I had what sound to be the same problem with my 79.  It turned out to be the
brainbox to the ignition.  However, I don't know if the lights would stay on
in that instance...I think they would.  I never drove it at night with the
problem, so I couldn't say.

Answer me this:  Does the car die SUDDENLY, or does it sputter.  I mean by
suddenly, that the tach drops immediately to zero, and there's not even a
peep from the engine.  If this is the case, I'd look to the ignition.
Otherwise, check out the fuel pump....

Regards,

Jay