Re: MGB-GT V8 in CA

To: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile),
Subject: Re: MGB-GT V8 in CA
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 21 Jun 96 15:41:17 PDT
John, V-8 conversions here in CA are ok with the smog dudes if you
remember that with a unique car/engine combination, the smog
requirements rest with the newest component.

For example, if you wanted to put a 1980 Rover SD-1 V-8 into a 1975
MGB, the regs require that all the ENGINE MOUNTED smog devices from
the Rover remain intact.  This would include the air pump, EGR, fuel
injection, PCV, air cleaners, etc., but NOT the catalyst or fuel tank
vent systems (since these aren't mounted to the engine).

I know a guy in our club that has a 1967 B-GT with a 1962 Buick 215.
This was an easy combination to smog, all it needed was a PCV valve.
The problem is installing the V-8 into an early (pre-75) B.  Lots of
rework to the tunnel, firewall, and inner fenders.

I think a lot of what is accepted by the CARB in terms of engine
swaps has to do with how nasty they want to get.

Anyone else with thoughts or experiences with smogging converted cars
in our glorious politically correct state?  Let's hear from you.

Cheers, Paul Kile

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162