Re: MGA Commercial

To: tr6@usa.pipeline.com (Ronald Olds)
Subject: Re: MGA Commercial
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 21:40:02 +0200
Ron Olds wrote today:

>I just returned from Germany and saw a commercial you MGA lovers would
>enjoy.  It was for a German beer and was based around a man restoring his
>A.  There was some good shots of the car. Don't remember the brand (too
>busy looking at the car).

The beer is from Koenig or KoenigBrau (where, "oe" is actually written as
"o with two dots over it" , but I dont know how to do that in Eudora).
[Koenig means King and Brau means Brewery]
I've seen this same commercial many times on German TV and I like it too.
I especially  like the part where the guy puts the speedo back in the
dashboard...
Can't tell you why, but this REALLY  makes me thirsty...

BTW you often see classic cars in TV commercials over here, nowadays.
Recently I've seen  a hair shampoo commercial where a girl is driving a red
MGB,
about 1970 (the MGB, that is; the girl, probably about 1976).

There also is a TV commercial for an antihistamine where you see a guy not
actually driving, but at least  entering his grey VW Beetle convertible.

And I also saw  a commercial with a girl being a passenger in a green TR6.
The commercial itself is for those typical ladies necessities that I do not
know
the English word for nor  will I endeavour to translate.

Then there is a commercial starring a Citroen Traction Avant, I think it is
for an insurance company.

>If any one is interested I'm sure you could request some one from Germany
>to make a copy and send it over.  I'm sure we have some good friends from
>Germany on the list!

Though most TV cable networks here in Holland also broadcast at least one or
two
German television programs,  I'm afraid I can't be of help to you.
The point is that television standards are not the same in the USA (i.e. NTSC)
as they are in this part of Europe (i.e. PAL).

Differences e.g.: PAL 50 frames/sec NTSC 60 frames/sec
PAL 625 lines NTSC 525 lines
The color encoding system is different, PAL TV sets have no hue control
since there is an
automatic color  correction  system that is not present in NTSC.
Sound IF carrier is 5.5 MHz as opposed to 3,86 (?) with NTSC.

To make a long story short: I could send you a VCR tape, but it won't work
on your
USA VCR/TV set! (Sorry).

Anyone around who has access to a code converter?

Bert Palte
Holland, Europe.

Red 1970 MGB (without the shampoo girl, however...)