'70 B water pump pulley blues

To: MG Owners List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '70 B water pump pulley blues
From: "Rounds, Keven" <krounds@carlson.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:40:00 -0500
Water pump went out on my "Minnesnowta'd 70 B. No problem, hello VB.

Looks easy, fan bolts , accessory bolts, radiator, no problem. ( I buy
WD40 by the gallon with hand sprayer, hose down entire engine
compartment and underside of car at least once a week.)

Water pump pulley, BIG PROBLEM, no come off. Heat gun, no work. Massive
WD40 therapy, no work. "tapping" with hammer while jerking mightily, no
work. Pry "gently" with screwdriver, no work, whoops, BIGGER PROBLEM!

Hello semi-circle chip out of back edge of pulley, approx. 3/4" long by
3/8" deep, not to bottom of pulley V.

Run to Moss / VB catalogs, no price in Moss, no number in VB, oh oh!!

Hey, notch just right size to take bolts off water pump with pulley
still on!!!, no work, bottom bolt feels like twisting off instead of
turning.

Stop for day, go to bed at 7:30 PM.

Currently pulley still on old water pump still on car. I've soaked
entire area twice a day for 5 days since with WD40.

QUESTIONS:
a. - Is the only thing holding the pulley onto the pump corrosion, and
the shoulder on the nose of the pump?
b. - I assume I'll just have to twist the bottom bolt off, if it doesn't
loosen by the weekend. Any alternatives?  Where do I buy an easy-out
kit?
b. - How do I get the pulley off the pump? Propane next? goodbye red
paint.
c. - Can I use the pulley as is after chamfering the edges with my
dremel. ( my theory here is that being only a couple of grams missing,
and being close to the center of rotation, and given the inherent " none
preciseness" of an engine with 107,000 miles, I probably won't even
notice a difference.
d. - If not c. then where do I find another 69-72 pulley?

Thanks, and sorry for rambling on, I feel better all ready.

Keven Rounds
"rusty but trusty ( usually ) '70 B"

P.S. Somewhere here I saw someone say "jump on a restored MGA if $10K or
less".
well in today's Minneapolis Star/Tribune ( on-line:
http://www.startribune.com ) there is an ad: "'59 MGA, exc cond, 88M,
$5400...". Are we that out of date here?