Re: 70 MGB rear spring replacement

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: 70 MGB rear spring replacement
From: Ceicia@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:21:29 -0400
Regarding my suspension bushing upgrade, I used the MGB GT V8 bushings in the
front wishbones, and I used Nylatron bushings at the rear of the car.

According to Moss' Performance Manual, there are Nylatron bushings available
for the front wishbones and also for the front top trunions.  Since Nylatron
does not mitigate vibration/harshness (a lot of which comes through the
steering wheel) as well as rubber, I did not choose to use the Nylatron at
the front of the car.

At the back of the car, Nylatron bushings supposedly locate the rear axle
better than the stock rubber bushings, at the expense of increased ride
harshness.  I installed Nylatron rear shackle bushings and Nylatron spring
center pads (they sandwich the leaf springs inside of the U-bolts).  I can't
say I noticed a significant harshness increase from the use of Nylatron at
the rear of the car, but then my right rear leaf spring broke shortly after I
finished putting the rear suspension back together.  I wouldn't say that the
stiffer bushings caused the break - it probably had more to do with the big
pothole and the 25 years of stress on the leaf spring.

All of the bushings installed pretty easily and the prices were reasonable.
 I'll know more about just how everything works together once I replace the
leaf springs.