MGB rear brake shoes are asymmetrical!

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: MGB rear brake shoes are asymmetrical!
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 12:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
Jay Tilton writes:

> A good shop manual will have a pic the assembled rear brake pieces.  That's
> one way to check that you've put it all back together correctly.  Maybe a
> better way is to only do one side at a time so you always have the other to
> check against.

Hey, that reminds me:  I just refurbished my brakes, and I noticed that
the rear shoes' friction surface is not fastened in the center of the
shoe; rather, it's much closer to one "ear" than the other.  The shop
manuals show the assembled brake, and one friction surface sits high and
the other low.  But what the manual doesn't say is whether the high side
is towards the front or rear of the car.

I know there's a reason that the shoes are constructed this way, but
I've never uncovered it in any book, and I certainly don't have the
brains (yet) to figure it out on my own.  It probably doesn't even
matter, but the whole thing keeps bugging me, and I figured this would
be a good topic for collective wisdom.  Or maybe it's painfully obvious
to everyone but me, and my time to roast has come.  Either way, I'd love
your thoughts.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast