Which Coil to Buy?

To: "MG LIst" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which Coil to Buy?
From: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 10:17:57 -0400
Help. I need to replace the coil on my 72 MGB and would appreciate any
suggestions. I have replaced the ignition with a Crane EI and am not sure
what type of coil to buy. I assume that the 72 model had no external
ballast resistor (I can find no sign of one) and have been told that
Lucas coils have "internal resistors". If I want to use another type of
coil do I need to add a resistor? Anyone who can expound on the use and
function of ballast resistors please enlighten! Is there any value in
going to a higher voltage i.e. 40k coil?

Thanks in advance,

Allan R. Hovis
hovisa@nando.net