Re: MG Treats\flashback

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: MG Treats\flashback
From: jsnyder@icds5.dseg.ti.com (James A. Snyder)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 96 09:24:51 CDT
Paul,

I have no personal experience with guns offered in Eastwood, but would make
the following suggestion. Buy one locally from an automotive paint supply
company that specializes in supplying professional body shops. You will not
have to pay any more than through Eastwood and you will have a local source
of information and advise about paint and techniques as well. You will also
find them to have guns that can be repaired (i.e. parts are available, so
you don't have to throw the gun away if something gets worn or broken)

I recently bought a Sharpe HVLP gun and paid $200 (on sale, normally $269)
 because of the greatly reduced overspray vs. conventional spray units. I
bought this to replace a very good quality Binks gun that I have had for
many years.

I suggest that you buy an HVLP gun because of the reduced overspray.
Conventional guns actually deposit 35% - 40% of the paint on the car. The
rest is lost as overspray on all the items in your garage and in you lungs
(very bad with modern isocyanate paints.) HVLP paints get 65% - 85% of the
paint on the car.

I know you said $$$ are a real issue and good spray guns are not cheap but
you  are going to spend $250 - $500 or more on paint materials which will
be wasted if you get a poor job due to poor equipment. If you find that a
good gun is out of your budget, you might consider some things recently
discussed here, such as letting a local trade school paint the vehicle.
Often they will do it for the cost of the materials plus a little for
overhead expense. However, you need to know that the quality is a variable.

As an aside, you will find many people on this list that recommend that you
give all painting jobs to professionals due to the risks on using isocyanate
paints. While the risks are very real, I personally don't subscribe to this
point of view. I think that if you use a good HVLP gun and a GOOD paint
respirator (also available at your local automotive paint supply for $35 - $50)
and limit your exposure, painting 5 or 6 cars in a lifetime will probably not
do you too much harm. As with anything else, there is some element of risk
that you assume.

If you decide to buy a conventional gun (the kind that produces a lot of
verspray), I have a used, but absolutely perfect Binks # 69 spray gun that I
might be willing to sell if you are interested.  It has all new working parts
(replaced because of age, not wear) including brand new fluid nozzle, fluid
needle and Air Cap, as well as just having the internal seals and springs
replaced. I intended to keep it for primer, but if you want it, let me know.

Hope this helps

Jim S.

> On a more serious note!  I need to buy a spray gun.  The following are the
> limiting factors

Snip

Snip