Idle (tick-over) Oil Pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Idle (tick-over) Oil Pressure
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 08:26:35 -0300
David and others,

        I believe this idle oil pressure thing would depend on the make of
the beast as the shop manual for my Sunbeam Talbots states clearly that
normal hot pressure is between 30/50 psi at 50 MPH (about 2500 RPM) and I'll
quote:

        "Tick-over pressure is not critical and the condition of the engine
should be judged by its normal running pressure. At normal tick-over speed
an oil pressure of 3.5 lb.per sq. in. would be satisfactory with engine hot
- 160/170 degrees F."

        I'm running a newly rebuilt engine in my '53 Alpine and I get about
45 psi running hot and 10 psi idling. FWIW.

Regards,
Bob

>I would have to disagree with Ulix on this - at least on the oil pressure
>of 10-12. I would be alarmed with that kind of pressure. I prefer a
>minimum of 40 psi at idle with 60-70 psi running. (this experience has
>been with 3 different MGs).
>
>My 65B was on the verge of rod bearing failure when it idled at 10 psi.
>After I overhauled the engine, I came to the belief that if the idle oil
>pressure dropped below 40 psi, it was time to change the oil.

>David Councill
>dcouncil@imt.net
>71 BGT

Robert A. C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Sunbeam Man! 1953 Alpine & 1954 90 MK IIA Drophead Coupe
See Sunbeams @ BATANS: http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html