Re: Bodywork...

To: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: Bodywork...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
  A few comments...

 On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER wrote:

> I know this guy that used to race MGs and restores Jag E-types. I went to
> him for advice on fixing the rusted out rockers on my 80 B.

> He said that I should not use a mig welder on a British car because the
> British steel is mild and is not tensile like the mig weld.
> He said that all of the welds should be braised.

  Nonsense.  Sills need to be welded NOT brazed.  A welded joint is
  much stronger than a brazed joint- welding *melts* the panels together;
  brazing melts a brass based filler material *onto* the panels.

> British cars are braised together and that since it's a unibody, mig welding
> would change the way the body naturally flexes. He also recommended buying
> new doors as opposed to changing the skins.

  British cars are (were?) spot-welded- or in some obscure areas even
  gas welded.  Typically the only panels that were brazed were cosmetic
  in nature or were not structural.  I wouldnt want to ride in any of
  his MGs or E-types that have brazed sills or tubes.

  I agree that you should probably replace the doors with decent
  used doors- the labor to skin them is probably more than the cost
  of used doors anyway.

> "... That lacquer paint is the best f** base you could have for painting...

  Ummm.  Run, do not walk, away from this statement.  If this surface
  is the *best*, why does he think the *current* paint is bubbling off??
  About the only thing worse would be to spray armor-all all over it.

> "  he suggested laying towels soaked in gas on the enamel crap...

  I'll let that statement speak for itself.   Gas == Boom.

> My fear is that I'll end up with a lot of creative braising work
> under a slab of bondo which will fall off, after of course the new
> paint peals off the old lacquer.

  Sound about right to me.  You might want to consider finding another shop.

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA