Re Bodywork

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Bodywork
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 08:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

 On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER wrote:

> I know this guy that used to race MGs and restores Jag E-types. I went to
> him for advice on fixing the rusted out rockers on my 80 B.

> He said that I should not use a mig welder on a British car because the
> British steel is mild and is not tensile like the mig weld.
> He said that all of the welds should be braised.

      I think your friend is wrong.  He does have a point in that arc welded
joints (MIG is a form of arc welding), are stronger than the regular steel but
are more brittle and cannot flex to absorb impact as well as the rest of the
body.  They are more apt to break open.  This should not be a problem unless you
really need major work - like sawing the car in half and welding it back.  Just
about all cars except fibreglass and stainless steel cars are spot welded in the
factory.  This is an arc weld just like the MIG but when done in spots it allows
the steel to flex around these joints.  This can also be done using a MIG setup
in certain circumstances.  MIG welding is ideal for mild steel by the way as the
heat is very local so you are less likely to warp or burn through panels.
     I am no expert but MIG welding may be your best bet for the rocker panels -
short of just buying a new body.

Tom Wannenburg.
74 Midget