Bodywork

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bodywork
From: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 15:14:13 +0200
Re: cutting up Jag bonnets (hoods).
    By: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>

Perhaps the mechanic is trying to evaluate you as a client. Maybe you
should go back to him and say: "Bullshit". Ask him to explain why Jag
hoods provide such a good source of mild steel for your car. Ask him
what guarantee he will give on the new paint he applies on top of the
old. Of course, it may already be too late for this: the fact that you
did not respond immediately may have marked you out as a potential
sponsor of his retirement fund.

I remember seeing a thread a couple of years ago in a newsgroup where
the original poster had been told by a mechanic that he must change the
air in the tyres of his Jag every year or so, otherwise it would wear
out and become too hard. Anyone who accepted this nonsense would be a
clear target for very expensive repair bills with every service! ("By
the way, I found that the .... was just about to fail and replaced it,
fortunately, I was able to get and fit a used spare for you at only
$500, plus labour costs of $1000").

Also, in racing circles, longevity of paint is not really a big concern.
The metal underneath will probably be bent beyond repair before the
paint falls off.

Regards,
       Simon