Re: cylinder head temperatures

To: TRIFARI@aol.com
Subject: Re: cylinder head temperatures
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 18 Jul 1996 TRIFARI@aol.com wrote:

> My 1980 MGB runs awful hot under normal running conditions (IE cruising down
> the freeway--no load on the engine).  Water level OK; thermomoeter new (165
> degrees); radiator probably old and in need of attention.  Anyway temp gauge
> usually stays between H and C, but the engine is hot.  (Can't touch the
> radiator hose).  To get a better look at engine temp I installed a cylinder
> head temperature gauge on the console in place of the heater switch, with
> sender attached under the #4 plug.  Any thoughts on what the normal cylinder
> head temperature range should be?  --John Trifari  1980 MGB/1955 Healey BN1

Are you supposed to be able to touch the radiator hose ?????????
While you are driving the temp in there is normally about 190F or so. It
might be higher after you stop.

What are your other indications that your engine runs hot?
Could it just be LBC-induced paranoia ?  :)

You could always test your gauge by immersing its sender in boiling water,
which usually has around 212F.

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy