Re: vacuum gauge

To: wayne buletza <rwbmg@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum gauge
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 18:45:04 +0200
Today, Wayne B. wrote:

> Vacuum gauges were......uh>huh.

I have one in my B, about at the spot where the o/d switch  would be, had
the car had an o/d.

The reason the vac gauge is there  now is because my car came with an ampere
gauge at that very spot
that didn't work because it was not connected (just another DPO stupidity).
I didn't want to hook up the ampere gauge because it would have caused yet
another  weak spot in the car's electrical system.
So it left me with a 52 mm hole in the dashboard that I had to fill up somehow.

I thought a vacuum gauge would be  nice.
It's  fun! The pointer moves all the time!

In order to hook it up to the engine, I made a special stainless steel
nipple that goes where normally the large plug
(p/n ADP 210, thread 5/8" UNF) goes at the inlet manifold.
Now you run a small diameter hose between the gauge and the nipple at the
inlet manifold.

> I have no idea how they worked or whether they worked at all.

In fact, it shows the air pressure (from atmospheric to almost zero,
over a 270 degree arc, at least at my Smiths gauge) that is present in your
car's inlet manifold.

This info, however, is not too useful and can sometimes even be a bit
controversial, so you
shouldn't take too much notice of it.

It's a nice period accessory, but that's about all.

Bert