Brake pressure differential...THING (77 MGB)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake pressure differential...THING (77 MGB)
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 14:44:57 +0600
Well, y'all missed the big brake saga.  I posted it during the period that
the list had gone screwy.  It's all fixed up now (seems to be, anyway).  But
it's raised a new question in my mind.

How the deuce is this brake pressure differential warning actuator supposed
to work?  I assumed it was supposed to be a switch of some sort (even says
so on the wiring diagram), but examination showed that it clearly is not.

It's got two terminals that connect to green and green/orange wires, but
there's a jumper across the terminals.  It's also got a metal shaft that
goes from the terminals out to the end that sticks into the master cylinder
body, but the shaft doesn't move.

When I connect the . . . 'thing' (clearly not a switch) to its wiring
connector, the 'BRAKE' light on the dash glows continuously, even with the
'thing' removed completely from the master cylinder and dangling freely.  No
wonder I unplugged it so many years ago.  Pondering its function, I could
see that if the pressure differential piston made contact with the
protruding shaft it would ground the green-wire circuit and blow a fuse.
I'm fairly confident THAT is not its designed function.

All in all, it's got me completely baffled.  There's no way this thing could
function as a switch, and could never have done what it was intended to do.
Can anybody enlighten me?  Is the piece I've got incorrect for my 77 B?
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu