Re: MG--Clicking Noise

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG--Clicking Noise
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 22 Jul 1996 10:58:15 -0500
In <960721170651_366666128@emout09.mail.aol.com>, Athleterep@aol.com wrote:
>Three out of the last 5 times I have turned off the ignition in my 77B, I
>have heard a very rapid clicking noise just after I have turned the key to
>the off position.  It is hard to pinpoint the source, but it sounds like it
>is coming from the engine compartment (not the fuel pump), and on the
>passenger side.
>
>Any thoughts as to what it is?

Sounds like the anti-runon device, the Kluge of the Century.  This
consists of two components, an oil pressure switch and a solenoid.
Both are mounted on the firewall on the passenger side.  The way it
works:  The oil pressure switch is ON as long as the oil pressure is
above about 10 psi, but the power to this switch only comes when tthe
ignition is turned OFF.  The switch activates the solenoid, which is a
cylindrical device connected to the charcoal canister (ultimately,
engine vacuum) and the carb.  The idea is when the engine is turned
off and oil pressure is still high, it introduces engine vacuum to the
fuel chamber in the carb, which prevents fuel from going through the
venturi.  This stops runon.  When the engine stops, the oil pressure
goes down and the solenoid releases with an audible click.

My guess is that either the switch or the wiring is flakey.  I
woudln't worry about it.  I removed my system long ago.  As for runon,
why, that's what clutches are for.

                        A. B. Bonds