Re: your mail

To: Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net
Subject: Re: your mail
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 01:53:24 -0400

>To:    Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net (Ken.Strauss)
>CC:    mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
>
>On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Ken.Strauss wrote:
>
>>      Help, does anybody out there have any ideas on what is causing these
>>      symptoms.
>>
>>      Tooling down the highway just fine, all of a sudden the engine acts
>>      like I turned off the ignition. It slows down and has no response to
>>      the gas pedal.  However, the lights, gauges, radio, etc all stay on.
>>      If I turn off the iginition then back on it comes back to life.
>>      Haven't yet seen any common events in these episodes.
>>
>>      All ideas will be considered and greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the fuel pump.  Points are probably jammed and need
replacement/cleaning.  Throwng the ignition switch on and off makes the
points jump, and they continue to operate normally.  Bet the car dies though
again after a while, doesn't it?  Points got tired.  At some point trick may
not work and pump will die.  Probably in the worse possible place.  Get an
aftermarket pump and throw it in your trunk for emergencies, along with some
WD40 to prime it.  Careful of polarity--John Trifari  1955 Healey BN1
(converted to negative ground, uses Midget pump; aftermarket pump carried at
all times)/1980 MGB.