Re: MGB: Steering column rattle fixed! (fwd)

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: MGB: Steering column rattle fixed! (fwd)
From: Duane Fischer <psych@trader.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:23:50 -0500
Ross MacPherson wrote:

> At 08:37 AM 7/22/96 -0300, you wrote:
>

> >I'm trying to track down the source of a "shimmy" in my front end that
> >occasionally occurs, at no particular speed.  If it still persists after
> >the column refurbish, all i have left to check/fix is the steering rack
> >(suspension has been completely redun over the last few years).  That may
> >have to wait until this winter, unless I can do it on a saturday!
> >What do youz think?
> >
> Have you checked alignment and wheel balance lately?
>
> Just a thought.....
>
> Cheers
>    ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
>   / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
> /  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
>  1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT
>

> .if you're running radial tires you may have a
slipped tread.  One way to check this is to jack
the front end up and spin the tire by hand.
Looking at the tire from end (not the side) you
should see some "wobble" from side to side.  If so
you'll need to replace the offending tire.  This
one drove me nuts (a very short drive) for a couple
of months several years ago, as I kept replacing
suspension parts and readjusting stuff.  Hope this
helps.
duane fischer
2 '72 Midgets
--
Life is far too precious to be taken seriously.