[mg]cylinder sleeves and tranny main shaft

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [mg]cylinder sleeves and tranny main shaft
From: John Florkey <ms_florkey@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:30:56 -0400
I have a '79 midget with a 1500cc engine.  I bought the car last
summer, and it had been sitting a while.  Being a novice and super
anxious to get a midget I picked a car that was of unknown or at least
undisclosed background and subsequently needs a lot of work.  I'm
currently overhauling the engine and transmission (I already finished
the brakes and the electrical is yet to come) before I put it out on
the road.  I am inexperienced but feel that I can generally handle
these with the aid of the shop manual, but I've run into a few snags.

I recently took the cylinder head off to get a look at the cylinders
and the pistons and found two pits 180 degrees apart in the sleeve
closest to the water pump.  It looks like they were worn in not
gouged.  The curious spacing and worn nature makes me want to accuse
the gudeon (wrist) pin.  Any ideas?  Regardless of how it got there, I
need to replace the sleeves.  I say sleeves because, if I'm going to
do one, I might as well do them all.  Is there any other way of
getting them out other than heating up the block and cooling off the
sleeve?  I'm planning on replacing the pistons as well since I have it
this far apart.  Any hints or advice?  I'm not sure how pistons and
valves are supposed to look, but these were 80-90% covered with a
black powder/film.

The gearbox is half disassembled also.  I'm having trouble pulling the
bearing off the long end of the main shaft.  This would require a 14
inch gear pulling type tool.  I can't find the tool, or anything
close, specified in the shop manual.  How have some of you taken care
of this problem?  Can the tool specified in the shop manual (18G XXXX)
be bought somewhere?  I've checked the best local place I could think
of, no luck.

Sorry about the length of these questions and any misnomers; I'm
pretty new.  Thanks in advance.

John Florkey
florkey.2@osu.edu