RE:Emissions inspection

To: mgs@autox.team.net, CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
Subject: RE:Emissions inspection
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:33:29, -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

THE BGT PASSED ITS TEST !!!!!!!!!!
I want to take this opportunity to thank Chris Reichle who last January
posted a response to someone :>
> Subject: RE: Air pump
>
> Lean out your mixture, raise the idle rpm a little and retard your
spark
> to  burn off hydrocarbons and you'll be fine...

Up to this year Texas has only done visual inspection of Emissions
equip on pre 75 cars. Starting this month they require the sniff test
on 72 and up.
The BGT has a 69 engine and no smog pump. I figured she would fail and
had already checked out the appeal and waiver procedures ( spend $75
and take the  receipt to DPS, some one looks at it and if they like you
you get the waiver for one year).
Well since the first step in the waiver is to flunk the test I took her
in today. Figured CHRIS' advise was easy enough so set the timing back
to 10 degrees and leaned out the carbs from 3 and a quarter turns to
1/2/ a turn,
set the idle up to 1150 rpm and set the fast idle so with the choke all
the way out the idle was still 1150 rpms.
Drove to the station with the choke out so it would go faster than 20
MPH .
After the guy did the test drive and was programing the computer I
flipped the choke off.
Results:      Standard                 TEST
    CO %          8.00                        .035
   HC PPM    0800                          0593
  Dilution     4.00                           11.64

I think the inspector mistook the AC compressor for the smog pump and
checked it off as "present ".

Another year of fun driving.

Bob Nogueira
PS: If you don't hear from me in the next week you'll know
the Feds are watching us!!!