Re: Carb rebuilds

To: Kosten Metreweli/RSG/US <Kosten_Metreweli@rens.com>
Subject: Re: Carb rebuilds
From: Ron & Candy Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:10:11 -0700
Kosten Metreweli/RSG/US wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm now considering rebuilding the carbs of my MGA (stock SUs). The car starts
> dropping off the idle when it gets hot (around 180 F). The mixture is very
>rich
> (screws are on the leanest setting), so it's been suggested that new needles
> and jets may cure it. . Looking through the Moss catalogue, they have both a
> Haynes manual, and a 3 hour video all about rebuilding SUs. Does anyone know
>if
> either of these are any good? I've only rebuilt a very simple single ventura,
> fixed jet Weber before, so I'm going need a bit of hand-holding.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Kosten

I just finished rebuilding the carbs on my 58 MGA. It was pretty
straight forward and surprisingly easy. I used the instructions that
came with the kit (Moss) and supplimented with my Haynes MGA shop
manual. The only thing to watch for was to make sure the needles are
centered in the jet and that your slides don't stick. The difference the
kits made were impressive. The car runs exceptionally well. I previously
installed oversize shafts, a much harder task with less impressive
results. Someday maybe I'll be able to afford new carbs but for now the
car runs extremely well.

Ron