Re: Fuel Pump

To: fisherk@gas.uug.arizona.edu
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:22:27 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 fisherk@gas.uug.arizona.edu wrote:

> Ok here I go agian......
>    I looked under the car at the fuel pump. Looks like a hose comes
> from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb. I looked in
> the book and it says that the pump is a low pressure pump. So can I
> just place a universal fuel pump (24$ at Pep Boys) in the place of
> the punp? (with diffrent hookups for the fuel line of corse)
> Anyone see any prob with doing this? I have talked to 2 people who
> did this to there cars (not MG's) and they claim it works just fine.
> Seems like it should work, plus if it ever dies I can get one right
> away and not have to order one in. Any thoughts?

You cannot just use a generic fuel pump. It would have too much pressure
and would make your carbs leak.  Many people will install a generic fuel
pump and a pressure regulator in the engine compartment.
I don't know how much you actually save if you have to buy the regulator
as well, also I feel the regulator gives the engine compartment that
typical DPO look (goes well with rusty pancake filters and snipped off air
injector rails).

Finaly, with the SU pump, you could carry a fuel pump rebuild kit (or
just the parts you think you would need) for emergency repairs.

Just my opinion,
Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy