Re: Too much oil pressure?

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Too much oil pressure?
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 15:00:26 -0400
I originally wrote:
> If it is indeed reading correctly you need to get it down.  Having oil
> pressure that is too high will push the oil right thru the bearings and
> not lube your motor.

it seems that a common response is:
>The idea that having the oil pressure too high will push the oil through
>the bearings without lubing the motor seems improbable to me.  Could you
>please explain?

I don't know.  I just got the info from a reliable manufacture of
bearings, TRW.  It is their engineers that cam up with that info.  I have
gotten responses from, and know of people who have first had seen what it
will do to the bearing.  The result looks like "wood eaten by termites"
with "tracks" worn thru the bearing face.

This is just one of those things that shouldn't happen but just does.
Sort of like adjusting the the lift and duration on a cam and ending up
with more HP and better fuel efficiency when physics sez otherwise, or
the fact that no mater how large you cooling system is, (including the
radiator), the temperature drop from inlet to outlet is never more than
10 Deg. F.   It just happens to be that way and documented in tests.
Blame it on UFOs if it makes you happier.

John

'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)

"If uniqueness makes us who we are... why be like everyone else?"