best primer ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: best primer ?
From: Eric Bartels <bartels@maths.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:15:07 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

   I need to carry out some minor rust removal on my 72 Midget.
   Since this will be my first time doing body- and paintwork
   I am slightly at a loss as which primer to use.

   I though of using hamerite for the places which will be
   covered by underbody seal, since someone told me that this
   gives the best protection if I don't have to spray it over.

   But which primer should I use for the visible places which will be
   sprayed over?
   I saw some rust eaters which work as primers too. I was wondering
   if this will give additional rust protection just in case some
   microblisters of rust remain after wirebrushing.

   or should I use a zinc primer (the heritage bodyshells have a
   zinc primed underbody and if it works well for them ...)?

   or what about these "two pack" or epoxy primers someone mentioned
   on the MG mailing list ?

   Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated ...

   Eric