Re: Info on 77 Midget needed.

To: Dave Gropper <e89412@rl.gov>
Subject: Re: Info on 77 Midget needed.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
I am a little in a hurry, so I'll keep it short.

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Dave Gropper wrote:

> I just looked at a 1977 MG Midget. Some rear-end damage. 67K.
> rag-top has shrunk. Interior fair. Scuttle rusted through (also under
> the battery). Rubber bumpers heat distorted.
> Four questions:
> 1. What else should I look for???

RUST! Between the door and the front fender, at the lower end of the 4"
wide panel.  Rockers/Sills, Lower end of the rear fender behind the wheel,
floors.

> 2. What's the approximate value ??

$ 4.95   :)

> 3. What engine SHOULD be installed. ??

1500 Triumph Spitfire engine. Listen for "death rattle" on startup of cold
engine.

> 4. Can the suspension be improved

Yes, but first it might need rebuilding. About $600 (for parts and
having shocks rebuilt and king pin bushings installed and reamed).

Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy