Re: 77 midget, death rattle, long time

To: "David E. Brown" <DEBrown@cris.com>
Subject: Re: 77 midget, death rattle, long time
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 10:19:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, David E. Brown wrote:

> Ulix- re the 77 midget's spitfire motor "death rattle", what do you
> mean by that?

It's a Spitfire Insider term, I think, it refers to bottom end bearing
knock upon startup, when there isn't much oil pressure yet.  Pretty easy
to hear, lasts for 1 to 3 seconds.  Made worse by the use of Fram filters
which have often been reported to have a non functioning anti drain back
valve. (Sue me, Fram-guy!)  My buddy's 75 Spit has a nice case of death
rattle, changing rod bearings didn't really help, a rebuild is in order.
Changing from Fram to ...(I forgot) had the oil pressure come up much
faster and the rattle deminished.

> also... how in the heck can one get the steering wheel straight?
> Take off the wheel, or is it something in the rack?

Usually the alignment is screwed up and you get the wheel straight by
having the toe-in adjusted (by adjusting the tie rod ends).
If that doesn't do it, you can change the position of the wheel on the
column.

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy