Belt up MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Belt up MGA
From: erasjfr@lmera.ericsson.se (Steve Foster ZD/KC)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 08:46:40 +0200
During the weekend I did some investigating and asked some questions.
My brother in law was over and he works for the Road safety ministry here in
Sweden. He performs
safety tests on cars.
I showed him my seat belt installation as described in the Autobook for Coupe's.
He didn't think much of the safety belt positioning.... Too low and it would
tend to twist your body in an
accident.
I have always felt that the belt could slip off.. but I am tall 6'2" and a bit..
I asked him about drilling into the tonneau. Would it be thick enough metal? We
measured the
thickness he got out his slide rule (remember them), I mean pocket calculator
and after a some
tapping away told me it was.
I then re-read the instructions in the manual. I does not state anything about
needing to weld for
strength.

On Sunday I drilled my tonneau. Two holes as I described earlier and a good
size and thickness
steel backing plate.   I have the original belts with chromed mounting brackets.
The belts feel and fit perfectly now. They are a joy to use.

I change the advice I gave last week. If you want a good mounting, go for the
tonneau.

crashes with the
belts mounted on the wheel arch so they changed the position to the higher
tonneau mounting.
As my brother in law pointed out the belt wouldn't help much mounted on the
arch.

If you get the right chromed belt brackets and chromed pan screws, it actually
looks very attractive.
My car is a driver and I plough the motorways here. The ditches are deep and
going off the road you'd
need a seat belt.

Safety fast...
  Steve MGA Sweden.