Re: Transmission oil Seal Main Shaft nut Size?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission oil Seal Main Shaft nut Size?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 05 Aug 1996 17:02:19 -0500
In <m0unXTK-0000JFC@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>, John Bartholomew wrote:
>"Robert Berning" Wrote
>
>>Does any one know the size of the tranmission main shaft rear nut.  It
>>looks like 2 inches or bigger, I need to replace the oil seal and need to
>>buy a socket.
>
>The size of the nut inside the transmission output flange is 1 5/16in.
>This is not a common socket in 1/2in. drive, so you may have to do as I did
>and buy it in 3/4in. and use a 1/2in. to 3/4in adaptor.

You also may need to emulate a "special tool" and make a kind of lever
to keep the flange from rotating.  I used a piece of angle iron (from
Home Depot) about 3 feet long.  Drill two 5/16" holes at distances
appropriate to mount on the flange, then chew out a semicircular
section so that you can get your socket past it.  Whether the tranny
is on or off the car, this will help to stabilize things while you are
leaning on the nut (which requires a lot of lean....)
                        A. B. Bonds