Gimme a Brake (Job)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gimme a Brake (Job)
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:58:19 -0300 (ADT)
Greetings all!

After discovering a tell-tale puddle of brake fluid on the garage floor
where the right rear wheel had been, I dscovered that the wheel cylinder had
elected to perish, resulting in the leak.

Ordered up a new wheel cylinder and fresh set of shoes last week (thinking
that the present ones may have been contaminated by brake fluid...I was
right!), and on this long holiday weekend Monday - I attacked the project!

It's only been 6000 miles and 6 years since the car was completed,and I was
surprised that the cylinder rubbers had perished. Nevertheless, replacement
was fairly straight forward - only the wrestle with that #$%* circlip that
holds the cylinder to the backplate (why is it you can never remember the
great piece of advice you read late one night on the 'net when you're up to
your gunnells in grease and fluids?). For those who may be facing this task
remember this:
**Fit the circlip with the curvature bowing out, rather than in. A
screwdriver correctly placed between the clip, and the slot in the cylinder
will 'pop' the clip into the groove. This is MUCH easier than trying to coax
the ends of the clip into the groove when the curve of the clip faces them
outward.**

Also replaced the shoes on the other wheel, although they were fine, and
barely worn, I just felt better about a matched set at replacement.

A quick bleed - no problems, and off for a test drive, er - stop more
correctly. All is well, and - there's more to my handbrake!

There is an immense sense of accomlishment in a relatively simple job like
this, particularly when no major problems are encountered along the way!

BTW - I'm still looking for accessory gauges, if anyone has seen my previous
posts.

Here's to summertime!

Terry "Stoppin' on a Dime" Williams
'70 BGT