carbs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: carbs
From: pharris@eos.vf.mmc.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 09:38:28 EDT
Hi all. Its ben a while since I've posted... I've got the head back on the
Midget. Of course, right before I pulled the head off last week, the starter
died. Had to push the Midget with a chevette to get it started. Ran it for a
couple miles and it seemed OK. It is still out of time and out of tune.
Most of you have may remember me lamenting about the single S.U. on my 1500.
I've all but decided to live with it until I can afford something better.
Now the problem all the hoses sitting about. The car hasn't been inspected yet,
so I'm feeling I should get as much of the emmissions plumbing hooked as
possible. Here's what I've got and don't know.

>From car:
-hose from valve cover (crankcase ventilation??)
-middle hose from charcoal cannister
-right hose from charcaol cannister
-thick bottom hose from charcaol cannister

Carburator (HS4 I believe...1.5")
-one place for a hose on float bowl top (the fuel line one is connected)
-one place for a hose on the carb body

I'd appreciate any help. Is any of this stuff important to performance?
I've got Haynes and the shop manual, but neither go into great detail.
One last question... will the correct timing setting remain at factory
spec. for life, or does it change as the car gets older?

Thanks!
-Keith
'77 Midget

PS...How's that carb conversion going, Leo?