Steering rack lubrication on TD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering rack lubrication on TD
From: "Danko Roozemond" <Danko@dutcosi.ct.tudelft.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:16:07 +0200
Greetings all,

During the rebuild of my TD i started disassambling the steering rack.  Not that
it is that worn but to derust it. But in the books I found two different
opinions on the lubrication of the assambly.

1) according to several including manual I should use gear oil.
2) according to the t type rest handbook (knudson) I could also use multi
purpose grease.

As Grease is far more easy to handle than gear oil (not that messy) and getting
the gear oil in place is not that simple I am thinking of using the grease.

Any comments or advices to use the gear oil would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Danko Roozemond

Please feel free to reply to d.roozemond@ct.tudelft.nl
MG TD '53 (to become toy after restauration ;))
FIAT 500 '69 (Daily driver, small, utterly slow (55 mph max) and in need of new
motor)
MG BGT '72 (daily driver in spe, need to get new sill and title)

"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be;
and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
That's lucas electronics."                   -- L. Carroll and me