Front suspension disassembly

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Front suspension disassembly
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:17:44 -0500 (CDT)
Hi guys.

Is there a trick to removing the trunnion from the kingpin?  I'm in the
process of replacing one of my stub axles, and I've got the units out of
the car, but the trunnion seems to be seized to the kingpin.  Is there a
hidden slot, or a backwards thread, or are they just corroded together,
or is it a press fit?

I had a good time removing the top kingpin nut (the one that holds the
trunnion on).  After pulling and heaving with all of my puny little
might on my Monster Speed Wrench, I was wishing I had a meter or so of
lead pipe to slip over it for leverage.  What I finally found laying
about the garage were my old leaf springs and a length of chain.  After
lashing one of the springs to the wrench and getting the whole awkward
contraption in place, I was surprised to discover that it worked like a
charm!

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer heading towards a healthy suspension

"I could go at any time..."