Re: Lucas Horns (on TD)

To: "Danko Roozemond" <Danko@dutcosi.ct.tudelft.nl>
Subject: Re: Lucas Horns (on TD)
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:22:08 -0700
At 12:16 PM 8/6/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>During the restoration of the TD I encounter all kinds of disturbances from
the
>PO (not yet DPO as he didn't mess up to much).
>But  As I tested the horns on the TD I found that none of them worked.
cleaning
>the points and adjusting them didn't work. So the question is:

Hi Danko,

I haven't had a TD horn apart but I am familiar with the concept of operation.

Before you do anything else check for continuity through the horn.  If you
get a closed circuit you will know the coil and contacts are okay and all
you need to do is adjust the contact gap. An open circuit could indicate a
number of things. Contact repair is possible but an iffy proposition at best
and rewind/repairing the coil is best done by a pro and would be more
expensive than replacing the horn.  Which brings me to my last point.  I
have a TD/TF/MGA high note horn that I don't need.  Contact me before you
buy a replacement. I'd be willing to pull it open and have a look for you if
you've got some specific questions

Cheers
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT