Re - MGB Burning Oil??

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re - MGB Burning Oil??
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 11 Aug 96 07:56:48 EDT
Robert,

I tried tightening things in the front suspension for two years trying to make
the front end clunk while breaking go away, including the top castle nut on the
kingpin - which make the kingpin bind.  The noise finally went away when I put
on new wire wheels.  The noise is from the little bit of play between the
splines on the wheel and the splines on the hub which will eventually cause
stripping of the splines.  A good way to check this is to take off the front
wheels, grease the splines, put the wheels back on very tightly and see if the
noise goes away for a short while.  For some reason, it comes back after a day
or two.  I've heard you should replace the wire wheel hubs at the same time you
replace the wheels, but I didn't - I guess I'm tempting fate.

Rick '68 daily driver in the US with Dad' Huber