Re: MGA engine weights

To: Jean-Pierre Labuschagne <jpl@dbsa.org>
Subject: Re: MGA engine weights
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:54:45 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Jean-Pierre Labuschagne wrote:

> How much does a 1957 1500 MGA engine weigh? I will soon be removing mine
> (with a hoist or lift) and I would like to know once the thing is out of
> the car how difficult is it to move around. The place of removing and
> repairing might be different so I would have to transport probably in the
> boot/trunk of a car without a hoist at the other end. Can this thing be
> carried ? Could two average people lift the engine? also ditto for the
> gearbox.

It weighs a hell of a lot.  I built a little dolly on 3 inch castors
to move it around on.  If you take the head and flywheel off two people
can lift it off the dolly and into a van or truck.  I wouldn't want to
carry it more than a foot or two.  I wouldn't put it into anything like a
car trunk that you would have to lift it out of; your hospital bill would
be much more than the rebuild.  The gearbox is easy.  I carried it around
easily by myself.  Good luck and don't hurt yourself.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA