Starter turns, now another question?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter turns, now another question?
From: BERNZO@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 23:25:45 -0400
Thanks to all that responded to my previous post regarding my non-turning
starter. I apparently had two or three problems...
With the starter out last night, I connected it to my batteries via a pair of
jumper cables and it ran fine, solenoid worked too. (Thanks Greg!) Due to my
extraordinay paint job on the engine backplate there was little or no ground
to the motor itself. My palm sander made short work of that. (Thanks Corey!)
With the starter reinstalled, I was able to get the motor to spin by jumping
the contacts of the relay. The key however, still did not work.
I found the culprit this afternoon. I took the starter relay apart and found
that the moveable contact was bent in such a way as to always be in contact
with the stationary contact. Some judicious bending realigned the contacts
and now every thing seems to work just fine. I'm not sure why the starter
wasn't running all of the time, but that's why I'm not an electrican.
Thanks again to all, now for the next question...
Is it possible to  build up enough oil pressure to register on the guage with
the starter motor alone? The engine is freshly rebuilt, and hasn't run yet.

TIA
Dave Bernier
74 MGB GT