MGB Thermostat Housing Studs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Thermostat Housing Studs
From: Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 17:39:21 PST
     My water pump recently died, and in the process of taking it off I
     decided to take a look at the thermostat too.  As I removed the two
     bolts and one stud/nut that held on the thermostat housing, I remarked
     to myself, "Gee, I wonder why there aren't three studs or three
     bolts?"

     A check of the trusty Moss Catalog, followed by a look at "Original
     MGB" revealed the truth:  there were supposed* to be three studs with
     nuts holding the housing on.  Further scrutiny revealed that the DPO
     had used bolts with a coarser thread than the one remaining stud.

     So my questions are these:

     1.  Can someone tell me the specs for the studs holding the thermostat
     housing on (1970 MGB, 18GH engine)?  I don't know if the bolts are
     right, or the stud.

     2.  Assuming at least one of the three holes has had the wrong thread
     screw/stud jammed in it, how should I proceed to fix this?

     Thanks in advance!

     Michael Lytton
     1970 MGB
     michael.lytton@sierra.com