Re: Dim Dash Lights

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dim Dash Lights
From: etaylor@nr.infi.net (Ed Taylor)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
>Dear Dim Bulbs,
>           Seems like I saw a mention of dim Instrument lumination on here at
>some point, but don't remember if it was ever resolved.  Driving at night I
>have to wait til I pass a street light to see how fast I'm going.  I replaced
>the bulbs and have the reostat turned all  the way up but only manage a pale
>orange glow from the bulbs.  Do I need to clean the reostat or what?
>                                                   Any bright bulbs out
>there?
>                                                   Bill in Colorado  73 GT

Bill,
 I recently finished the restoration on my '79 B.  Had had the same problem
with dim instrumentation prior to replacing the dash.  In doing so, I also
decided to replace all the bulbs.  The old bulbs had become coated with dust
and crud from 16 years of top-down touring. I merely cleaned them up and
reinserted them.  I now have nice, bright instrumentation that's a pleasure
at night.  If you have any doubts, you may also wish to check the voltage
at the bulb terminals and/or the output of the rheostat, but I rather suspect
you'll find cruddy bulbs to be the problem!

Regards
Ed in Greensboro, NC