Whining Midget Rear end

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Whining Midget Rear end
From: Stephen Peter Mirams <mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:03:01 +1000 (EST)
After reading the thread on the clunking noise associated with wire wheel
I decided to go and tighten them up. Presto the clunking sound had
gone... Thankyou all. However, I now have a different problem and am not
sure if it is related to tightening the wheels or not. My Midget now has a
very loud whining sound coming from the rear of the car when i take my foot of
the accelerator. I sounds very much like it is coming from the drivers
side rear wheel and the sound gets louder and softer as the wheel turns
(very noticable at low speeds) I am guessing either diff or the wheel
bearings. Does anybody know what it is? I have also looked at the
literature I have on Midgets at home and none cover replacing the wheel
bearings. Has anybody done this before, if so can the average person
tackle it at home as I can feel my wallet opening in my pockets already!!!!

Cheers

Stephen Mirams
RMIT Business

69 Midget