Re: MG Paint Price

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: Re: MG Paint Price
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:32:49 -0500
Nina Barton wrote:

> I've been quoted a price of $2,500 to repair any rust, repair areas that
> have had Bondo used to fill dents, and paint the car the same tan it is
> now.  Does this seem like a fair quote?  Also, does anyone know the name of
>the > paint used for a tan 1971 BGT?  I've heard Desert Sand, but can't find
>that > particular name in the Moss catalog.  Thanks in advance.

Nina -
        My experiences:  I live just north of Dallas, Texas.  Went to a couple
of shops here.  The car was not running, so the estimates were based
upon my description of the car and the work I wanted done.  First place
quoted $2300.  Next place restored mostly Corvettes, but would work on
anything:  $2500.  The place I settled on was a small owner operated
independent body shop.  The guy was experienced in MG body and paint
work.  His price was $1600.  My car had one small Bondo area just behind
the right rear wheel, otherwise had only parking lot dings and scrapes.
Had dents in hood (bonnet) and trunk (boot) from someone trying to force
them closed against the latch and/or the prop rod.  I took it to him
totally ready for him to strip and prime.
Engine/tranny/interior/dash/chrome/lights/etc removed.  All glass and
window regulators removed.  No door/hood/trunk latches.  Basically, just
a body shell with wheels and axles.  No rust - spent it's life in
Texas.  He removed doors/trunk/hood.  Painted engine compartment, inside
the trunk, doors, under sides of hood and trunk.  Really a fine job.
Paint is PP&G concept two part paint.  Love the way it looks.
        Per Original MGB (Anders Ditlev Clausager) the '71 BGT colour you may
be referring to is Bedouin (beige) with Autumn Leaf interior.  Seems to
be the only one close to tan.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Kube
'79B