MGB gearbox front cover question - bearing shims

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB gearbox front cover question - bearing shims
From: Joe Peck <peck@digex.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:38:59 -0400 (EDT)
I'm finishing up an engine rebuild on a 79 B.  Next
step is to refit the transmission front cover, using
shims to ensure the correct clearance between the cover
and the first motion shaft bearing.  (Section F.3 in
the Robert Bentley manual for those who want to follow
along).

My problem is in making sure the shims stay in correct
alignment when I install the front cover.  How does
one do this?  The shims just seems to not want to
stay in place while I refit the cover.  I'm placing
them inside the cover and then sliding the cover
into place.

The book isn't much help: "Check that the first motion
shaft bearing shims are correctly positioned".

Any suggestions?

Joe Peck
79 MGB
80 MGB  (can't decide which one is a parts car :-)