driveshaft confusion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: driveshaft confusion
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 96 10:57:07 PDT
Fellow wrenchers:

Yesterday, I labored on Labor day.  I put a rebuilt shortblock and early OD
tranny into a late '67 B.  This B was made so late in '67 that it has a late
rearend in it but had a non-OD, early, three-synchro tranny in it when I got
it.  When I went to install the driveshaft that came out of the car, I
discovered that it was too short.

To make the situation more complicated, I tried to install this same drive-
shaft in my daily driver '67 (maybe '66) with the early rearend and a late,
four-synchro, non-OD tranny and it was too long.

I would have measured the driveshaft to find out what I have and therefore
what I need, but I'm not sure where or how to measure something with a
sliding joint that makes it change length.  So, the question is, is there
a correct driveshaft for a car with an early OD tranny and a late rearend,
and if so, how will I know one when I see it?

While I've got all of you on the line, I have another question.  When I
stole the engine out of the ex-boyfriend's '69 BGT (actually, I gave him
$200 for it) I made a mental note that the bracket that holds the overflow
pipes from the float bowls mounted under the bottom bolt that holds the
motor mount bracket to the block.  The overflow pipe bracket even has a
lip at the same angle as that part of the motor mount bracket.  However,
looking at my daily driver '67 B (if a picture's worth a thousand words,
having a mostly identical car around is worth a million) the bracket is
mounted to the far outside of the motor mount where it attaches to the motor
mount flange that's part of the car.  This position is about eight inches
out from where it would be if mounted between the block and bracket.  Did
the position of the overflow pipe bracket change between '67 and '69?  Was
my mental note as illegible as my written notes?  Where does that bracket
go?

Thanks in advance for any and all enlightenment.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com