TD fuel system problem?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD fuel system problem?
From: Glen Eldridge <glenel@infobahnos.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 17:46:13 -0400
My newly acquired TD has developed a habit of misfiring & backfiring
thru the carb, especially when hot, but NOT ALWAYS.  The symptoms are as
follows: temp reaches 90 degrees (most instances), engine sounds like
it's running on three cylinders, and when throttle is applied sounds
cyclical, i.e., as though fuel delivery is intermittent, and backfires
through the carb.

I've checked the dashpots & found one cover slightly loose.  Tightened
the top, no improvement.  Checked the floats, they move freely & no
visible sediment.  The fuel pump seems o.k. (clicks like mad), but I
can't find a strainer or filter anywhere on the fuel line.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, as I'm really stuck

Thanx

Glen Eldridge

glenel@infobahnos.com

'64 Midget Mk1  '52 TD Mk1