Re: propshaft confusion (denise)

To: "(D) MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: propshaft confusion (denise)
From: Anthony Rayner <A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 22:24:23 +1000 (GMT+1000)
Dear Denise, I was asking a few questions about propshafts a few days ago
(not on the web) and I got a very detailed answer from a guy named Randy
Balogh.  This is what he told me... Here is the definitive answer on
propshaft lengths and usage;

1.  All propshafts are the same in terms of the bolt pattern on either end
and their configuration.  The only difference is in the total length.  There
were a total of three different lengths used from '62-'80.  An MGA propshaft
from any year is completely different and not interchangeable.

2.   '62-'66 roadsters w/o overdrive used a shaft 30" long

3.   '62-'66 roadsters w/ overdrive used a shaft 31 1/8" long

4.   '65-'68 roadsters and GTs with *tube type axles* w/o overdrive used a
shaft 31 1/8" long and w/overdrive used a shaft 32" long

5.    Everything after '67 (using the all synchro gearbox) used a shaft 31
1/8" long.

The source of this information is the parts catalog from the "MG Parts Center
LTD., Norwalk, CT.  USA.

The measurement of the shaft length is made with the shaft fully compressed
(collapsed) from end to end.

Personally, (drawing on my own experience) I think that after '67 and through
'80 that 2 different lengths of driveshaft were used between the standard 4
sp and the overdrive.  However, they were of the lengths described above.

Hope this clears the air for you on this subject.  The only concern I would
have in interchangeability would be the situation where I was going from a
tranny using a 30" propshaft to a tranny requiring a 32" propshaft.  In such
a case I would use a 31 1/8" propshaft (the easiest to locate) or hopefully
find the 32" propshaft.

I agree that you can probably use your old propshaft or you can find a
propshaft 31 1/8" long (the most common available).  Your car if original
has a banjo type axle.  Hope this helps you out Denise!  Bye...Tony
Rayner.  charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au