Re: Major Midget Electrical Failure

To: tboicey@isocan.com
Subject: Re: Major Midget Electrical Failure
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 96 19:21:46 GMT
>One probably important test. Battery voltage is 12V, but
>flicking the headlight switch to ON drops that voltage to
>3 or 4 volts so no suprise why the lights don't work. I suspect
>the same thing happens to the battery voltage when I start=7F
>the car.

Did you measure this at the battery posts?  If so sounds like a duff
battery, but possibly not if the alternator is duff.

>dies immediately. So we jump start it again. I follow him
>home with no lights and no dashboard. No burning smells,
>no smoke, car runs fine.

Sounds like the alternator is just giving just enough output to run
the engine but not the lights as well i.e. duff alternator.  Did you
measure the alternator output with the engine running before and
after turning on the headlights?  Should read 14 or so with
everything on.

Odd that the dash didn't work at all though, and the flashers didn't
kill the engine as well.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)