TD Exhaust Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Exhaust Question
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 22:00:53 -0500 (EST)
What should the exhaust at idle look like on a properly tuned TD? When I set
the mixture by the "lift-the-pin" method, the exhaust has a little black
in it. By leaning it out a couple of flats, I can make the exhaust completely
colorless. The engine runs great either way. I think I'm in the ballpark, now
should I fine tune towards lean or rich?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 9 months and counting