Re: MGA Windshield Wiper Motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net, RatiganJ@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA Windshield Wiper Motor
From: SCHLINING.M.W-@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com (SCHLINING.M.W-)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:41:00 -0400
        Joe

        Your wiper motor has three wires connected from the harness.  One is
the
        "hot" wire and the other two are grounds.  The wiper motor will "park"
        the wipers, only when both grounds are open.  One gournd is from the
        switch, the other works from the wire that enters the gearbox cover.
As
        the gear rotates around, there is an insulated spot on it that will
        break the contact, causing the "parking" ground to open, thus shutting
        off the wiper motor.

        What this amounts to is a redundant ground that requires the gear to
        stop in the same place each time the wiper switch is turned off.  My
        ground wire to the gear was cut by the DPO, thus when I shut off the
        switch the wipers would stop where ever they were and would not
        automatically park.

        I did ring out my wiper motor to identify which contact was what, but I
        don't have the info handy right now.  If you need it, let me know and I
        will look it up.  Good luck on the restoration.

        Marty Schlining
        57 MGA Coupe
        75 MGB