Re: Fan Motor '80 MGB

To: Robert J Ryll <rjryll@aztec.co.za>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan Motor '80 MGB
From: tiltonj@erols.com (Jay Tilton)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 14:21:41 +0600
Robert J Ryll wrote:
>I have a dodgy fan motor on my 1980 MGB. I got it to work, but it seems
>to draw vast amounts of current, causing the cut out to kick in.
>
>Any ideas as to what to do to reduce the current, or what might be
>causing the problem?

Blame the fan motor's bearings.  They've either become misaligned, gotten
dirty, or are shot altogether, causing an extra load on the motor.  You
could try giving them a cleaning/light polishing, then a light coat of
grease.  No guarantee it will solve the problem, but it's at least worth a
try before buying a new motor.
--
Jay Tilton  |  tiltonj@erols.com