Ignition switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Ignition switch
From: gmapes@ball.com (Glenn Mapes)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:22:35 -0600
Hello All

The ignition switch on my 1968 MGB is about to self destruct.  When turned
to the "start" position sometimes nothing happens.  After wiggling the key,
the car starts and runs fine.  My questions to the group are:

1. is the switch as easy to change as the manual suggusts (i.e. remove
switch cowl and then rmove the 4 screws holding the ignition switch.
 Replacement is the reversal of disassembly)?

2. while the car is a 1968, the DPO installed the interior from a 1973 si I
don't know if I should get a switch for a 1973.  How can you tell the
difference between a 68 steering column and a 73 steering column, or does it
matter?  Is the switch the same for both years?

Thanks in advance

Glenn Mapes
1968 MGB
1965 MGB